Spring Cleaning Made Easy-Part 1: Shower

Ok, folks! I know it may be hard to believe, but spring is just 3 days away! WHAT? Yes, March 20 is spring and you know what that means...SPRING CLEANING TIME!


Ick, spring cleaning...

Well, I hate it just as much as the next guy, but it is my mission to make it easier for you this year!  I am going to try writing a weekly post to help guide you on how to get through this "cleaning business" with as little stress as possible. I am going to give you tips on doing this quickly and effectively so that you will have more time to get out into that sunshine...when it finally comes! :)

Since it is Week 1, I am not going to get into "heavy cleaning", but I am going to make it a bit easier for you to do your regular "cleaning" so that you have some extra time to start the heavy stuff.

Let's start with the shower.  It is dirty and it HAS to be cleaned at LEAST once a week!



Shower Cleaning Tricks:

Shower head:

OK, is your shower head clogged and you have been showering in water that spouts in all directions, including up? NO MORE...time to get rid of those clogs!  



BEFORE - Eeeww!





AFTER - Aaahhh!
Find out how to do this with NO scrubbing or removal of the shower head by clicking HERE!
 
Shower doors:
 
Here is something new I am doing. And, I can't believe I am letting you see my dirty shower doors. Oh well. Here goes:
 
 
Check out all of the build-up and water stains. I SWEAR we clean them at least once. I know they are not supposed to be totally translucent, but come on. I had to get them cleaner!
 
Here's what I did on the left door in the "After" photo below:
 
 
Mix 1/2 cup of hot vinegar (I put mine in the microwave for 30 seconds) with 1/2 cup of BLUE ORIGINAL SCENT Dawn Dish Soap.  DO NOT use the "Blue Simple" kind...I made that mistake, it did NOT work!  Put the mixture right into a spray bottle ($1 at Walmart)
 
Then, just spray the entire shower door(s) and let sit for 20 minutes. Only make enough mixture for what you need, the vinegar works best when warm.
 
All you have to do is wipe it off with a damp towel or cloth and voila! No more "scummy" doors! 
 
**Hint: It may be pretty stinky for some, leave the fan running in the bathroom - it will help.
 
 
AFTER (only left side done):
 

 
Um, where is the "LOVE" button! Woohoo! I actually ended up doing this to the whole shower afterward!
 
Shower tiles:
 
So, I have scoured the web for this one. I don't have a tiled shower by choice. I HATE cleaning tiles!  But here is a recipe for cleaning shower tiles and grout...have you tried it?
 
Add 1 cup of distilled white vinegar, 1/2 cup baking soda, and 1 cup of ammonia to 1 gallon of warm water. Use a scrubbing sponge to scrub each tile and grout.
 
Even though I haven't tried it, I have read that it works from a lot of people.  I wanted to include it here in case you did!
 
Fiberglass Shower/Tub: Just use the recipe for the glass shower doors above! If you don't have "Blue" Dawn, you can try spritzing just vinegar on. Let it sit for 5 minutes and rinse with damp cloth or water.
 
Maintenance Cleaning:   Next time you are at the Dollar Tree, pick up one of those sponges with a handle you fill to use for dish cleaning.  Instead, fill it with 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water.  Leave it in the shower and wipe down the shower right after you use it! This will keep it fresh until you clean again!
 
 
 
And there you have it! The shower! Let's start our spring cleaning off easily!
 
Do you have another shower-cleaning tip? I'd love to hear it! Just leave me a comment below!
 
Did you like this post? Share it on Facebook or Pin it for later!
 
Check out my other posts on cleaning as well as some life hacks!

No comments:

Post a Comment