Easiest Crock Pot (Dulce de Leche) Caramel Topping Recipe!

Hold onto your hats, my friends! This sensational recipe is going to knock your socks off! (Well, then I guess I should have said to hold onto your "socks"?!) Whatever, you get the picture! :) This creamy, thick combination of milky sweetness is mouth-watering!

My love affair with this started at Walmart last week. I was buying some apples when I ran into an old friend I hadn't seen in a while. We were chatting and eyeballing this yummy caramel dip that was right next to us the whole time. Now, my friend knows SO much about everything, it is sometimes intimidating.  But I am so grateful for her being able to recall this recipe off the top of her head that it was worth feeling dumb for! But in all fairness to me, who is not anywhere near as perspicacious, it is an EASY recipe! :)



If you are in love with dulce de leche or anything caramel, prepare to be wooed! This simple topping can be used to dress up every-day foods such as cookies, cakes, ice cream and even coffee! Oohhh, it is so good in coffee! :) The even more obvious use is as a dip for apples. I would also say that it is just as delicious being eaten off a spoon, however I don't want to be the one to cause you to go into sugar coma when you can't stop!




Here is all you need:

-A crock pot
-1 can sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated)
-Water
-Optional mason jar (Michaels or Joann sells singles)
-Optional saucer



All you need to do is remove the label from the can...do NOT open the can. I chose to set the can on top of a saucer placed in the bottom of my crock pot. This may prevent any rusting that may occur from the can.

Fill the crock pot with water so that the water covers the entire can, this is important! Turn your crock pot on low and let the magic work for 8 hours!

*Note: if your crock pot runs at a lower temperature than normal, turn it on high for 4 hours, then low for the rest. I had to do this with mine, low just didn't cut it the first time around!

Turn off your crock pot and let the can cool completely to room temperature. I took my can our with tongs and set it on my oven grate. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN!

Once the can is completely cooled, open it and scoop out the goodness! Mmmmm!

ALTERNATIVE: Empty the can of milk into a small canning jar. Tighten the lid completely. Set the jar in the crock pot and make sure the water level in the crock pot is above the line of milk. You may need to add water as you go to keep the level up.

How did you use your dulce de leche? Oh, my mouth is watering again! :)

Don't forget to share me on FB or pin me for later!

No comments:

Post a Comment