Throwback Thursday - My Favorite Childhood Snow Ice Cream Recipe - SCORE!

Well, I finally went on an "outing" yesterday to my awesome sister's house with the kiddos and the in-laws! She is the most thoughtful person and  always tries so hard to make people feel special and loved 24/7! This was a "come-over-and-have-a-dance-party-and-lunch-so-you-can-get-out-of-the-house" outing. I have now been stuck inside for 16 days, minus a trip to the ER. Fun.


But, our kids LOVE to dance together, so that's exactly what they did. I had a front-row seat on the couch, but it was so much better than looking at my own living room! The kids had a blast! Then my sister whipped up some fantastic lunch for us. Everything tastes better when someone else makes it, right? She really is a good cook though! :)



So in trying to bring my own element of "fun" to the outing, I came up with the idea to make snow ice cream with a childhood recipe when we were done eating lunch. The kids have never made it before, so I was excited to see what they thought. It had been SO long since I had it that I almost had forgotten what it tasted like!

My sister was a bit nervous as she recalled the time she made it herself as a child. She gobbled it down and then saw it again a few minutes later! But I must stress that she made it HERSELF. ;) Her main ingredient was sugar and more sugar! LOL!

I must say that we "scored!" with this recipe. If you know our family, you know that we own an ice cream stand and LOVE our ice cream. This is more of an "ice milk" recipe, but, it had a great flavor and the texture really wasn't bad at all! 

Here is what you need to create your Snow Ice Cream:

-1/2 cup granulated sugar
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-1 cup milk (whole probably would work best)
-5 cups of CLEAN snow!

First, collect the snow in a bowl and stick it in the freezer while you make the base. The last thing you want to do is run around getting the snow while the kids are inside mixing the base ALONE! :) Don't pack the snow, just scoop it in its original state.


Then, in a larger bowl, add the milk, sugar and vanilla. Whisk it together until ALL of the sugar is dissolved. You don't want to taste the granules in your ice cream, yuck!



When the sugar is dissolved, add the snow cup by cup and mix together. Don't spend a lot of time on this, do it quickly so the snow doesn't melt before it is done!



This is the texture it should look like when the ice cream forms. Our snow was quite heavy from a warm temperature outside, so we used a bit less than the 5 cups. Just watch the texture carefully as it changes quickly:


Once you have a slightly thicker-than-slushy mix, just scoop it into bowls and serve!  Some recipes have you re-freeze the mixture. This one does not require it. It was great without re-freezing. But you could probably try!


This was a BIG hit with the kiddos. I even liked it enough to eat a whole bowl! :)  If you don't have enough people to eat the whole mixture, put it into a smaller bowl in the freezer and tell me what happens!

Have you made snow ice cream before? Let me know your recipe and how it turned out! Have you made different flavors? Comment below!

Don't forget to try my other kid crafts and kid-friendly recipes!


Like this post? Share on FB and tweet & Pin for later! I would certainly appreciate it!

God bless and happy winter!


No comments:

Post a Comment